Tuesday, 31 March 2009

The Cardiff Hilton

Last month I submitted the painting of Paris Hilton - "That's Hot!" into the 'Young Welsh Artist of the Year" exhibition, which will take place in Cardiff. I filled the form in the night before the day it was due in and didn't really think too deeply about what I was going to submit. I picked the Paris painting because it's one I'm really pleased with and I worked damn hard on it, it wasn't until after I'd sent the form that I thought to check and see what the past winners work was like. Well it's very "traditional", which is why I instantly knew Paris didn't have a hope of getting in.
I'd like to say this story has a happy ending where my painting gets in and hangs amongst all the paintings of landscapes and castles, a sort of modern day David and Goliath, but alas I received my rejection letter today, but I'm to resubmit next year according to the letter and not give up.
I'm not disappointed [it can all go in my Professional Practice folder] I admit its not really a pleasant painting and if you don't know that its Paris Hilton you might start to question my sanity [of course you might do that even if you know who it is] but it's not like the rest of my work is "pretty" or "nice", I'll just have to hope that one day they'll be someone twisted like me on the judging panel ...

No comments:

Post a Comment