Saturday, 25 April 2009

They're Here ...




It was near the end of Primary School when I first caught a glimpse of the film 'Poltergeist', and only managed to see half of it, yet the scene where Carol-Anne buries her pet bird has always stuck in my mind. It was whilst re-watching the film during my first year of the degree [when I was sat at home watching horror films to research a project] that I realized that most children learn about death when a family pet dies, and its then that they start to ask questions about their own mortality and the Afterlife. Its a very short and simple scene but it shows the three children's different attitudes towards death - Carol-Anne's sadness, Dana's disregard for the event, and Robbie's mocking [asking if he can dig the bird up]. The scene sort of inspired me to think back to my own childhood and to when I first learnt about death. The first pet I remember dying, and actually seeing and holding some kind of funeral for, where the two goldfish that died when my Mam accidental left them outside over night, I discovered them the next day dried out on the patio [having jumped from their container]. The first person I remember dying was my Aunt's Father, Mr Wynne, I naturally questioned these events, eager to know more about what had happened, where they'd gone etc, not to be nosy but to try and understand the circumstances. Its really become the foundation for my current work, an attempt to try and figure out death and my own response to the inevitability of it, from both my childhood self and adult self ...

No comments:

Post a Comment