Thursday, 11 June 2009

Almost There - Joe Simpson

After waiting for over a year and a half for the exhibition to open I finally got to see it today! The exhibition in question is 'Almost There' by Joe Simpson.
I first saw his work in a tiny gallery that we visited during the first year of the degree, and instantly became obsessed with the work, the work made me think of all sorts of films, music and books, and I spent that night trawling the Internet for information on the artist. A bit of sleuthing told me that he was planning a series of paintings depicting a young mans journey of self-discovery in a 'On the Road' stylie, each painting would be accompanied by a song inspired by the scene and written especially for the piece, for someone like me, who complies a mix-tape to accompany my own work [however mine is really for my own use] and whose work is so heavily inspired by music, films etc I was over the moon to find someone with a similar methodology.
I was incredibly excited about the exhibition and was worried it wouldn't live up to my ridiculously high expectations, but it did. The paintings themselves are excellent and I really like the idea of a narrative within them - with a journey developing over the course of the series. The idea of soundtracking works beautifully with the paintings since they're composed in such a filmic way it seems so natural, I am totally obsessed with the work and the soundtrack [especially Mike Braye's track 'journey on']

links to to the exhibition site and Joe's blog

http://www.almostthere.co.uk/

http://www.blog.almostthere.co.uk/

and the 'trailer' for the exhibition

No comments:

Post a Comment