Thursday, 9 July 2009

4th Plinth


Saw the 4th plinth whilst in London, to be honest Gormley's idea wasn't my favourite that was put forward - i really liked Yinka Shonibare's idea of Nelson's ship in the bottle [here's the link http://www.london.gov.uk/fourthplinth/plinth/shonibare.jsp] i do however like how he's taken Warhol's idea that we'll all have 15 minutes of fame and applied it to the masses, some critics I've read have dismissed the idea as "art for the Big Brother generation" - i don't see anything wrong with that, the people stood on the plinth have put art into the public eye and got them talking about art, so i don't really see how that's a bad thing?

I have no idea what the woman was actually doing on the plinth, she was reading out something but i couldn't hear it from down below. I did want to shout "Jump" but managed to resist in case the crowd turned on me.

My friend tried to point out various landmarks while we were wandering around the plinth but I saw a pigeon on top of a statue head [see pic] and was more interested in that - i did secretly wish for the bird to land on the woman on the plinth but that didn't happened [probably for the best]

No comments:

Post a Comment