Wednesday, 22 September 2010

I like Candy....


I just read this quote on another blog [Style Rookie: http://www.thestylerookie.com/]:

"I like making images that from a distance seem kind of seductive, colorful, luscious and engaging, and then you realize what you're looking at is something totally opposite. It seems boring to me to pursue the typical idea of beauty, because that is the easiest and the most obvious way to see the world. It's more challenging to look at the other side".
Cindy Sherman.

It reminded me of my last shift in Oriel Scala, my friend and colleague Susie came in with her Mother [whose in her 80's]. Susie's Mum saw my painting "Rabbit Heart [Raise it up] from a distance and said how beautiful she thought it was, and how it would look lovely in a little girls bedroom, Me and Susie both looked at each other and laughed nervously, Susie encouraged her Mother to look closely at the painting, as she got nearer I heard her gasp. She hadn't noticed the bloody heart, and blood stained jumper. After explaining the piece and the dolls, and assuring her I wasn't completely unhinged and in need of help, she remarked that from a distance my work looks "pretty" and its only as you approach it you notice that its not what it seems, which in turn the quote I used for my artist statement for my degree show [http://badgemakesart.blogspot.com/2009/05/artist-statement-redux.html] its from Joshua Hoffine, he said about his horror film inspired photography [which to be fair looks like more like a Disney film from a distance]:

"I didn't want them [his photographs] to be dark or grungy. I wanted them to be shiny like pieces of candy so that you can look at them longer. I want them ultimately to be dainty, pretty things that you would want to look at but in the middle is something awful"

I guess I like the idea of luring people in with something pretty and shiny, and familiar and then once I have their attention make them view it in a completely different manner. So even if someone hates the work at least I will have hopefully challenged them, and made them think differently about how they view and perceive things?

No comments:

Post a Comment