Monday, 21 February 2011

Under Neon Loneliness...


"Under Neon Loneliness"
Coloured Pencil, Tempera, and Poster Paint on Watercolour Paper

[Detail]

[Detail]

[Detail]

The "bubble" background - printing blown paint bubbles onto watercolour paper

[Detail]

[Detail]


I've finished the drawing I was working on, its the first time I've combined the bubbley background with my drawings, I'm proper pleased with it :) It was a challenge for a normally control freak like me to resist the urge to the paint out bits of the bubbles so that they didn't show through the face but then that would kind of defeat the point of the exercise, so I'm glad I stuck with it and fought that urge! I'm in the process of sorting through some more images for potential drawings, just need to sort, sketch and then I can get cracking!

I've said in a previous post that the Manic Street Preachers have been a big influence on the current work and the thinking behind it, the title for this piece for instance is a line from 'Motorcycle Emptiness' and the working title/buzzword for the series of drawings is 'Cultural, Alienation, Boredom and Despair' which was the working title for their d├ębut album and appears in the song 'Little Baby Nothing' - at the moment it sums up the ideas/notions/feelings I'm trying to convey....

No comments:

Post a Comment