Saturday, 27 August 2011

You Should Be Living...


The first stop off on my two day adventure was Wolverhampton Art Gallery for the show: "You Should Be Living" [part of the Home of Metal exhibitions] It's an excellent collection of work inspired by heavy metal and the relationship between the aesthetics and the music. For me it was exciting as I've drawn alot of inspiration from music artwork [album covers, tour poster, merchandise etc] and the usage of bones, skulls, skeletons and the like in metal artwork was a big eye-opener for me as a child, so I'd built up some high expectations for this particular exhibition, and thankfully it didn't disappoint! although it was a smaller exhibition than I was expecting - a case of wishful thinking on my part... I've included some photos of my favourite pieces, unfortunately not the greatest quality photos, I was using my old camera which isn't the greatest when it comes to dark environments - naturally it was a black cube rather than a white one ;)

The exhibitions title comes from Mark Titchner's piece, which in turn is titled after lyrics from Napalm Death's 'Scum'... I've been a fan of Titchner's work since his Turner Prize nomination and love the methodology behind his work... I headed over to Walsall Gallery in the afternoon to catch his solo show - more on that later on :)


Mark Titchner "You Should Be Living"


I'd seen Jim Faure's skulls online and also in the promotion for the exhibition, and I loved them in print but seeing them in person was a completely different experience, I was absolutely mesmerized by them, they just appear to float and hover on the ground like a ghost! They have a very sombre almost Religious quality to them, like some primitive sacred artefact - which reminded me of seeing Jake and Dinos Chapman's MacDonald's sculptures... my photos however do not do them any justice *hangs head and camera in shame* you can see much better pictures here at Jim's actual website






Jim Faure [Jim Skull']


Amy Sakrsian's installation had a similar effect on me - the mixture of glittery, shiny fabrics and sequins felt at odds with the subject matter, an uneasy juxtaposition - which is by no means a bad thing [right up my street actually] I was informed by one of the gallery assistants that it should have coloured lights shining onto it to make it look like the blood is dripping as the light catches the different sized beads and glass blobs but didn't happen, which is a shame as Sakrsian has chosen sequins and beads as they remind her of blood cells and of flowing blood... It doesn't distract too much from the overall effect, you still got a sense of movement, and the two dripping heads were theatrical but very eerie!




Amy Sarkisian "Bloody Amy Sarkisian"


Seldon Hunt's piece amazed me on first glance as I thought it was a woodcut plate and couldn't believe the crisp lines, then I read that it was digitally etched which explained the perfect quality! it doesn't mean I like it any less of course, I still think its a stunning piece of design, I especially like the two crows and the symbolism used, and the wood is beautifully contrasted with the matt black...





Seldon Hunt "Etched Skull Series" 2011
Digital Etching on Wood


More information about the exhibition can be found on the gallery's website

No comments:

Post a Comment