I really enjoyed seeing the photos from Papergirl Calgary the exhibition and 'giftervention' day looked fantastic! Big thanks to Sunshine and the other organizers/volunteers for all their hard work!
Here's some info about the project from the organizer Sunshine:
Fun Facts about Papergirl Calgary:
- 550 works of art were submitted & exhibited
- 140+ artists contributed to the project
- A team of 19 Papergirls and Paperboys distributed 200 art rolls
- a core team of 3 volunteers & a project manager lead the project
- 3 workshops stellar workshops were completed with attendance of 25+ people
- 2 promotional collaborative events were completed with Cyclepalooza, Goodlife Community Bike Shop, Picture Books Zine Fair & Sled Island
- Papergirl was mentioned on countless blogs, tweets and facebook pages it now has 400+ twitter followers and 220+ facebook fans
- Printed & Online Press coverage: Stephen Magazine, Avenue online, Metro Magazine (June and August) FFWD Magazine, Calgary Herald Online
- Radio Coverage included: CBC Homestretch, CJSW's Artlink
- Submissions from 13 Canadian cities and 5 Canadian Provinces
- Additional submissions from 13 countries around the world and 18 international cities
- The smallest work submitted was 8cm x 12cm and the largest work was 1 metre by 1.6metres
- Some excited artists loved this project so much that they submitted multiple prints, upwards of 30 pieces!
- The submission age range was incredibly diverse: from 8 year old budding artists, to high school students, to university artists from ACAD and UofC Fine Arts, to established Calgary artists, and ACAD alumni, and veteran artists all the way into their early 70's.
- Types of media: oil painting, illustration, watercolour, collage, conceptual & new media work, prints, embroidered paper, and so much more!
- Best fact of all? During the ride out Papergirls and Paperboys were gifted with hundreds of smiles, thanks, hugs and cheers as they distributed art. One person was so overwhelmed that they teared up, they simply loved the work that they were given!
P A P E R G I R L C A L G A R Y
T h e a r t o f g i v i n g a r t
EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts
City of Calgary
Cultural Capital of Canada Initiative