Monday, 8 October 2012

Creepy Dolls and Gnomes: MOSTYN NINJAS




A few months back I was approached by the newly formed young persons group at MOSTYN about coming to chat with the group about my work, this chat and a previous visit to our studio lead to them asking me if they could my work as the inspiration for their own work! I was thrilled and honoured to be asked and naturally agreed! The work they produced was fantastic, and hearing their interpretations of the dolls was inspiring. I'll post some photos of their versions of my dolls and gnomes when the groups blog goes live [they're in the process of building it]. The result of the project was the above animation, in which the dolls and gnomes they had painted came to life and decided to check out the gallery, we discussed it briefly during my interview with them, and I suggested they apply logic to the dolls like I had [using science to rationalize my fear] and consider what would actually happen if they came alive, how would they cope with day-to-day life and the problems they would encounter in the gallery. I was impressed to see they wove that advice into the plot, with the height problem with the lift button - the dolls made a tower to press it, and the gnomes have to wait for a human to operate it!
Well done to the Ninjas and their mentor Sioned Phillips for creating such a brilliant piece of art! I can't wait to see what they do next!

Here's a bit of info about the group from the MOSTYN:

"MOSTYN NINJAS’ is a new art programme for young people aged 11-13. The group meet on a regular basis to plan activities and arrange exciting events for other young people inspired by Mostyn and its exhibitions. The programme aims to enable young people to directly plan, take part in and most specifically self-evaluate a programme of learning activities centered on visual arts. Working in collaboration with artists, Mostyn staff and associates they are given the tools to create the project as a platform to showcase their ideas and voice their opinions about art. "

If you have any questions or would like more information about the MOSTYN NINJAS please contact Sioned Phillips: sioned@mostyn.org

No comments:

Post a Comment