Sunday, 1 September 2013

'Day of the Dead' Workshop @ Royal Cambrian Academy












On Thursday I ran the last session in the 'Summer Art Club' for the Royal Cambrian Academy in Conwy, the theme for the summer was art from around the world, so given the content of my work and the fact I've drawn so much inspiration from it, I decided to use Mexico as my country and focus on the 'Day of the Dead' Festival. Given that my age range was 3-14 years old it was a little risky bringing in skulls and skeletons, but it paid off everyone had a fantastic time!

The younger group in the morning used skeleton templates I'd prepared to make their very own skeleton, decorating and dressing them ready for a big party; there was sequins and neon paint galore!!

With the older group in the afternoon we used José Posada's prints as a starting point and made our own relief prints using foam plates. They had great fun experimenting with colour blends and adding colour, sequins, feathers etc to embellish them, I was really impressed with the innovation and ideas in both groups, I came away bursting with ideas! 

I must say a big thanks to everyone who came [and their helpers] and to everyone at RCA especially Wendy and Jenny! 

You can find out more information about the RCA education programme by visiting their website

No comments:

Post a Comment